Sunday, January 30, 2011

Introducing......Helena Bonham Carter

Red-carpet fashion in America hasn't been, for a long time, about having fun. The goal was to look safe enough so that the Middle American masses find you appealing. Recently, stars have been venturing out in more fashion-forward styles such as, you know, emerald green, or one of those awesome long Jil Sander dresses. You might argue that Lady Gaga exemplifies someone who has fun with her clothes when she's in public. And we might say, there's no way being her and getting dressed five times a day can actually be more fun than it is work. Do you ever look at her in her heelless shoes and spikey straitjackets and feel a pang of maternal worry? But the great thing about being Gaga is that, since she does it all the time, she doesn't have to defend her fabulously crazy outfits. But Helena Bonham Carter, who isn't Lady Gaga and yet had one of the most memorable looks at the Golden Globes this year, has to defend her Vivienne Westwood dress, which landed her on many a worst-dressed list.

“Sometimes I get it right and I sometimes I get it wrong,” Bonham Carter, 44, tells PEOPLE. “But fashion is all about having fun. I think fashion has been hijacked by the fashion industry creating rules on what one should wear and I feel like breaking the mold and seeing that the world won’t crumble.”

...“Why not wear mismatching shoes? Who says we can’t? I was just having fun,” says Bonham Carter. “For me, fashion is all about fantasy and putting unlikely things together. That’s what I love. I genuinely love dressing up.”


No, not allowed — dressing for these events should be a tortured process involving at least one very tortured stylist with at least one very tortured assistant and at least one mildly tortured jewelry guard. People asked Bonham Carter what we can expect from her at the Oscars:

"Maybe I will wear the exact same [Vivienne Westwood] dress I wore at the Golden Globes but with matching shoes,” she says with a big laugh. “Or put the shoes on my head!”

Yes. That would feel new. A repeat on the red carpet by the same person. It's a surefire way to win "who wore it better" polls (A. Helena 1 or B. Helena 2). Besides, we loved her Globes look

No comments:

Post a Comment

Empire Cruises, Cretive Director

Since 2010, Empire Cruises has offered affordable and fun private boat rentals in New York City. I lead a wonderful team that included 7 ves...