Monday, May 17, 2010

ICFF 2010



Where was I Saturday????? I was at ICFF for the second time in the past three days and just got back. I did pretty well, casing the whole joint in two visits. AND I tucked in a visit to the Finnish Design showcase at the Chelsea Market on Friday morning. I saw EVERYONE. I met Patricia Urquiola, had Jonathan Adler chide me for "dressing like a grownup" (it was true), and chatted with a half dozen young designers that I'd never seen before who had great stuff. To kick it off, here are my top six picks.

So here are four designs/designers who really, really caught my eye and had something that hit my sweetspot for being both totally unique and possibly classic at the same time. These were my emotional showstoppers and I can't really explain much about how that happens. It just happens.
Oshibe by Tomomi Sayuda - Never seen this before: when you put eggs on stamens, Oshibe plays tender ambient sounds and lights up.
Liquid Lamp by Obovo of Japan - Wow. These little lights were total showstoppers. They win the Provocative Award previously held by Suck UK's upside-down revolver flower vase.



Sheet Seat by Ufuk Keskin & Efecem Kutuk - Each seat is made out of exactly 1/5 of a piece of plywood. There is almost no waste. This seems like a perfect solution for extra chairs in the small space apartment.


Lamps by John Astbury, Bengt Brümmer and Karin Wallenbäck of Whatswhat Collective - Just love the simplicity and humor of these designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Empire Cruises, Cretive Director

Since 2010, Empire Cruises has offered affordable and fun private boat rentals in New York City. I lead a wonderful team that included 7 ves...